Nov 4, 2006 8:38am
Re: Non-Dead Tunage
1. BECK-The Information (new release, almost an extension of his last great CD-Guero...btw, Info has a song called "Dark Star"...no, not a cover, unfortunatley.)
2. BUD POWELL-Live in Paris 1961...w/Monk, one of the greatest jazz pianists of all time...smooth as silk playing, gorgeous stuff.
3. FRANK ZAPPA- You are what you is...Every time it's an election year and the hypocrisy and idiocy is flying everywhere I counter it w/Frank's stark and funny truth.
4. THE BAD PLUS-Give. Best new jazz trio that sounds like a rock band. Check out their cover of "Iron Man". Unreal.
5. ROLLING STONES-Beggar's Banquet...How can every song on this album be so damn good?
6. DUKE ELLINGTON, CHARLES MINGUS & MAX ROACH- Money Jungle. Ummm...Duke, Mingus, and Max on the same album. What else do you need to know?
7. PRETENDERS-self-titled. Chrissie Hynde exudes sexuality every time she opens her mouth to sing, and even when she doesn't.
8. BOB DYLAN-Modern Times...Not as crazy about it as most reviewers are, but tehre are flashes of brilliance....it'a a lot like Love &Theft.
9. ELVIS COSTELLO-The River in Reverse. Worth it for the title cut alone.
10. MEDESKI, SCOFIELD, MARTIN & WOOD- new CD...just started checking it out...can't go wrong with that line up, really.